Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program

It’s official. I’ve been off of both Diet Coke and coffee for an   entire year.

This feels like an achievement right up there with giving birth.

And every time I tell someone, “Oh, I’ve given up coffee. And Diet Coke,” they gasp, “WHY?”

Every morning when I see the coffeepot sitting forlornly on the counter, I kind of wonder the same thing. Our freezer smells of coffee, and sometimes in the afternoon, I’ll open a bag of Fresh Market ground beans just to inhale the aroma of the forbidden.

When I see a can of Diet Coke, I salivate. A year later, and the beautiful sound of a can opening makes me drool like Pavlov’s dog. Even if that can contains beer, I imagine the blessed taste of dark, cool Diet Coke. We watched The Thomas Crown Affair the other day, and the scene that made me pant was not the sex scene on the stairs and in the study. It was the scene in which René Russo gets a Diet Coke from the vending machine and downs the whole thing in two gulps.

In coffee shops I now order tea, but while I’m in the blessed sphere of caffeine, I savor the coffee scent so much that I almost hyperventilate in my attempt to obtain a contact coffee-high. I’d kill for a dark, rich espresso. Or a cup of Fresh Market Christmas Blend.

So why did I give them up?

Migraines and general health. This time last year I was having an average of 23 migraines a month. That’s not a life. It’s a living hell. And while caffeine can help a migraine in the acute phase, daily caffeine consumption can cause migraines when you don’t get your fix.

So I quit.

My neurologist and I have worked on a plan that’s gotten me down to an average of a blessed 9 migraines a month. It’s heaven compared to last year. (Still not fun, but it’s all relative.) Since stopping, I’ve made a lot of other dietary changes as well, but I feel like I should mention that I’ve lost (and kept off) 20 pounds. My skin is clearer than it’s ever been. I’ve saved hundreds of dollars that I would have spent on lattés.

Quitting both coffee and Diet Coke, however, is not as simple as saying, “I quit.” I’m convinced that Diet Coke still contains some form of actual coke. It’s that addictive. And coffee? Just as bad. When I’m around an aluminum can or a coffeepot, I feel like an alcoholic in a bar.

(Sidebar: all joking aside, I am absolutely NOT likening either of these to having to deal with the horrors that are alcoholism or substance abuse. Having cut two simple substances out of my life, I have more respect now than I’ve ever had for people who have gotten sober.)

In the grand tradition of addiction breaking, I offer you my personal 12-step program for quitting both coffee and Diet Coke.

1. Do not go cold turkey on either drink. You are likely to feel like death and harm someone.
  2. Enlist your spouse’s help. This is going to be hard enough to do, but will be practically impossible if your honey is brewing up giant cups of joe in the morning or lugging home soda by the case when it’s on sale. Try to do this together, at least on the coffee front. If he’s not with you, then ask that he buy his coffee on the way to work, at least until you’re over the hump.
  3. Start by adulterating your coffee. Week by week, replace some of the regular with decaf, until you have a pot full of decaf.
  4. Give yourself time – time, as in a few months to do this, especially if you’re a several cups per morning type of person. Your body has been reliant on this stuff for a long time.
  5. When you hit full decaf, replace your coffee with something like Teeccino herbal coffee. It’s caffeine free, available in hazelnut, and actually tastes and smells like coffee. (You can find it at Trader Joe’s.)
  6. During the coffee drop-down, start turning down the volume on your Diet Coke. This all depends on how many you drink in a day. I was the kind of person who grabbed one each time I walked out the door, so I began limiting myself to one per day.
  7. After a while on the Teeccino, you may want to start adding in some herbal teas, or even some black teas.
  8. If you add in black tea, remember that it has caffeine (though considerably less than coffee). Try to limit it to a cup or so per day, or you’ll find yourself addicted to tea instead of coffee.
  9. Start upping your water intake, big time. Get a Camelbak or other water bottle and take it with you everywhere. You won’t believe how much water your body really wants. Soda and coffee do not hydrate. Your body is parched.
  10. Got your water bottle? Time to ditch that last Diet Coke. Drink your last one, and don’t buy any more. You can’t drink them if they’re not in the house.
  11. When you’re out, order water instead of soda. You’ll save a ton of money. And no, don’t drink rum and Coke. That counts. Try a vodka tonic or a martini or a beer instead.
  12. Stand back and watch your body thank you. If you’re anything like me, your headaches will improve. You may lose weight. Your skin may look clearer than it ever has.

And just think of what you can do with all that money you’ve been spending at Starbucks.

What do you think? Will you try to kick coffee to the curb? How about Diet Coke?

Sharing. It's not just for toddlers.
43 Responses to Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program
  1. traci zeller
    August 7, 2012 | 9:46 pm

Sigh. Up until the last month or so of being pregnant with the boys, I had been off all caffeine for maybe 2 years? But I went to the dark side with the sleep deprivation … and I just don’t know that I’m willing to give up my daily Coke! And oh yes, I drink the “fully leaded” version. I don’t remember my skin being clearer when I was off the caffeine, but maybe, just maybe I’ll think about quitting again once kindergarten starts. TBD!

• Angie
      August 8, 2012 | 8:29 am

Well, let me know if you give it a try! Sleep deprivation will lead you stumbling back to coffee in a heartbeat. I’ve had to drag my mind away from coffee on many mornings.

Next up on my to do list: go to bed earlier, get up earlier. Seems impossible!

2. Amy
    August 7, 2012 | 10:03 pm

I gave up Diet coke cold turkey six years ago. It was painful. But I was having heartburn so bad most days I could hardly sleep.

I’ve now gone 2 days without coffee as a part of a cleanse. It’s way harder than I thought. I yell cried at one of my employees yesterday! I’m hoping it gets easier.

• Angie
      August 8, 2012 | 8:31 am

Cold turkey? You have more willpower than I do, girl!

For me, the key to letting go of coffee really was doing it gradually, and then eventually replacing it with tea so I’d still have a cup of something hot in the morning.

Good luck!

3. Cameron
    August 8, 2012 | 8:29 am

I have up “drinking my calories” a few years back, with the exception of a drink or two on weekend nights. Replacing every beverage with water or unsweetened black coffee or tea helped me lose weight for sure, and my skin was better, too.

I fell off that wagon, but I’m wondering if I should get back on.

So many wagons to be on. Gets tricky balancing them.

I’m glad for you that your migraine threshold is lower (and I sincerely hope you and your neurologist can banish them for good and all!). They are an ungodly misery, and I thank whatever freaky biological miracle occurred when I got pregnant with Felix, (Pardon while I knock on three wooden surfaces.) because while I get stress, sinus, and bad body chemistry headaches, those debilitating, nausea and hide in the dark until the Imitrex kicked in migraines have gone away.

• Angie
      August 8, 2012 | 8:35 am

Yes, many, many wagons. I’ve banished artificial sweeteners, too, and that’s been awful.

I’m so happy for you that pregnancy with Felix cured your migraines. Many people have told me the same thing happened for them. Not so for me; if anything, they got worse. Thank you for the good wishes for the banishment of all future migraines…but my neurologist and 20+ years of experience with them have both taught me that they will be a constant in my life and the goal is management, not banishment. Though I’d take banishment in a second if I could get it!!!

4. angela
    August 8, 2012 | 11:16 am

I still drink coffee but quit diet Coke last November. I’m frustrated with it, in a way, because I didn’t notice a single difference in terms of how I felt/looked/etc. (and I drank a lot of it!) Sigh :) I’m proud of you; they’re two hard things to give up.

5. Guerrina
    August 10, 2012 | 2:08 pm

Congratulations on your achievements, Angie! It’s not easy to give any addiction up for sure…I still battle nicotine. I decaff’ed 20+ years ago and went from 2+ pots/day to 1 mug decaf/morning. Yes, they called me “Electric Lady” at the Psych Dept. I worked at. I finally gave up my diet CF Pepsi, too and switched it for water and G2. If I am craving-Pepsi-to-the-point-of-death, I’ll buy one little bottle…my body prefers G2. The addiction to the Pepsi obviously wasn’t to the caffeine or sugar, so what else is in it?!

I applaud your determination & success! Way to go!

6. Polos Baratos Ralph Lauren
    December 27, 2013 | 8:54 am

There’s definately a great deal to find out about this issue.
    I really like all of the points you have made.

7. Chap
    January 2, 2014 | 2:56 pm

You’re still drinking tea. Caffeine is caffeine. Back to counting days.

• EvoClear Discount Code
      March 10, 2014 | 7:19 am

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and
      i own a similar one and i was just wondering if
      you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
      I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.

8. baratos Nike Air Max
    February 8, 2014 | 1:50 am

I always emailed this website post page to
    all my friends, because if like to read it afterward my
    contacts will too.

9. http://TrustJackerMethod.com
    February 11, 2014 | 8:13 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I’m hoping to offer one thing again and aid others like
    you aided me.

10. pharmacie
    February 13, 2014 | 10:04 am

Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.

Do you have any tips on how to get listed in
    Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I
    never seem to get there! Many thanks – annonces emploi pharmacie

11. avocat alexandre evreux
    February 16, 2014 | 2:42 pm

Just lately a colleague of mine brought up to me he was utilizing an
    anonymous Proxies 20122012 in order to access and engage in
    on the internet roulette game titles. The culture of the
    islands in the French Caribbean is rich with influences from people of many different nationalities, including Dutch,
    Spanish, African, Indian, Chinese, as well as French.
    If you really don’t start honing your survival expertise
    now, you are going to be helpless and hopeless when
    2012 happens and chances of you generating it alive gets
    to be slimmer.

12. offres d emploi bordeaux
    February 24, 2014 | 1:07 am

Site gratuit et français pour job paris

13. Http://Borney.Fr
    February 24, 2014 | 5:08 pm

baches pvc – Borney.fr – fabricant de banderole – fabrication en france Achat drapeaux, fabricant de drapeaux français banderolles
    publicitaires
    Right here is the right website for anyone who would like to understand this topic.
    You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).

You certainly put a new spin on a subject that has been written about for years.
    Wonderful stuff, just great!

14. offre emplois a domicile
    February 27, 2014 | 2:53 pm

Site gratuit et français pour job luxembourg

15. acheter des medicament sur internet
    March 8, 2014 | 6:51 pm

Unlike offline businesses, online merchants do not have the luxury
    of having a physical point-of-sale terminal to start processing their sales.
    Tough applications mean tough fans and blowers by Industrial Pressure Blower Co.
    At the May 2006 Sial-China trade show in Shanghai, the USA Pavilion hosted 25 U.

16. Allison
    March 19, 2014 | 1:45 pm

Angie,
    Thanks for this inspiring post. My husband came across it and sent it to me to help bolster my desire to quit drinking soda. I am a Dr. Pepper-aholic and drink a minimum of 48oz of it a day. Many days it’s upwards of 60oz. And yes, the full calorie variety too, so not only am I addicted to the caffeine, but I’m also taking in a whopping 600 calories from soda alone – on a good day. I feel like it’s getting to the point of being critical to my health to quit drinking it, but I am so stuck! Just wondering if you can give me any advise on how to get started, stay motivated, and keep myself from falling back into Dr. Pepper’s sweet syrupy clutches again once I quit.

17. different link building
    March 23, 2014 | 3:49 pm

I am really grateful to the owner of this web page who has shared this impressive post at at
    this place.

18. code de remise
    March 28, 2014 | 10:35 pm

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your website.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here
    and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Fantastic work!

19. the elevation group revealed
    April 1, 2014 | 3:30 pm

You actually make it seem really easy along with your presentation but
    I find this matter to be really something which
    I feel I’d by no means understand. It seems too
    complicated and very broad for me. I’m looking ahead on your next put up, I will attempt to get the
    hold of it!

20. Lamps Clinic Voucher Codes
    April 14, 2014 | 8:43 am

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
    I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you
    aren’t already ;) Cheers!

21. Athletic Greens
    April 21, 2014 | 1:08 am

s a bit of truth to the mostly fiction tales we were told as kids.
    When our body p – H ( becomes more and more acidic it
    starts to set up defense mechanisms to keep the damaging
    acid from entering our vital organs. In a 2006 research study,
    it was discovered that reading and math skills were a stumbling
    block to deciphering the confusing labels on many foods.

22. macys coupon code appliances
    May 8, 2014 | 11:55 pm

macys coupon code appliances

Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program

23. target promo code
    May 9, 2014 | 9:20 pm

target promo code

Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program

24. macy's coupon codes april 2013
    May 10, 2014 | 10:28 am

macy’s coupon codes april 2013

Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program

25. Fifa 14 gratuit pc
    May 24, 2014 | 3:23 am

Aw, this was a very good post. Spending some time and actual effort to produce
    a top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never manage to get nearly anything done.

26. sex
    May 28, 2014 | 10:00 am

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you know then you can write if not it is difficult to
    write.

27. seo advice
    May 29, 2014 | 9:27 am

Howdy! I know this is kind off off topic but I was wondering if you kneww where
    I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

28. Http://nitrowarez.com/
    June 16, 2014 | 2:06 am

I loved as mch as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over
    thatt you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly tthe same nearly veey often insie
    case you shield this hike.

29. restoration hardware sofa
    June 18, 2014 | 5:22 pm

Hey! This is kjnd of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.

Is it ough to set up your own blog? I’m nnot very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
    I’m thinking about creeating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions?
    Many thanks

30. lose belly fat for men
    July 1, 2014 | 4:13 pm

Hi I am so thrilled I found your webpage, I really found you
    by accident, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a
    tremendous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    a great deal more, Please do keep up the awesome b.

31. Katrin
    July 11, 2014 | 12:19 pm

It’s hard to find your posts in google. I
    found it on 11 spot, you should build quality backlinks
    , it will help you to get more visitors. I know
    how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tricks

32. consumer review
    August 15, 2014 | 7:10 pm

consumer review

Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program

33. weight loss pill reviews
    August 16, 2014 | 2:53 am

weight loss pill reviews

Caffeine addicts anonymous: a 12 step program

34. aloe vera vitamin e
    August 19, 2014 | 1:36 am

Wow! This blog looks exactly like my oldd one!
    It’s on a completely different suubject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

35. Hello terrific blog! Does running a blog similar to this take a large amount of work?
    I have virtually no knowledge of programming however I was hoping
    to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any recommendations or tips for
    new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I just wanted
    to ask. Cheers!

36. Cortez
    September 9, 2014 | 1:38 am

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a lot
    of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO
    friendly articles in seconds, just search in google – k2seotips
    unlimited content

37. how to stop ringing in ears
    September 24, 2014 | 5:41 am

So why is being overweight such a direct link to diabetes.
    Adiphene is the newest and fastest weight reduction supplement in market.
    Indeed Adiphene weight reduction pill is the answer for those who always goes on food regimen however can’t endure the meals carving hunger and the irritability gave rise by dieting.

38. anxiety attack
    September 25, 2014 | 6:38 am

future, the researchers want to find out whether a combination of several educated in the gastrointestinal tract hormones can further enhance the effect of the gastric band.
    This means thay everybody who makes use of Adiphene should shed
    pounds. Glucomannan is among the most active hunger suppressants in Adiphene,
    and it works to suppress yearnings and help you handle
    your parts.

39. remedies for tinnitus
    September 28, 2014 | 2:05 pm

If you have been feeling tired and rundown lately, and seem
    to be gaining weight for no apparent reason, then it is time for a
    change. Safety is also assured when taking Adiphene because of its natural ingredients, which means that serious side effects are unlikely to happen if taken as directed.
    Assuming that you aren’t a super-taught individual, you will have
    some major snags adding on control over your zealous
    urges towards consuming distinctive sustenances.